Wednesday, December 1, 2010

25 Day Ornament Challenge...Blingy Snowflakes

Hello…anyone out there??? I’m hoping to drum up some more followers and/or lurkers, but I realize that I’m not the most consistent blogger on the block. SO! I decided to challenge myself this month with 25 Days of Handmade Ornaments. Yep. We will end up with 25 new ornaments in time for Christmas Morning! To quote my mother, “Really? You’re going to make 25 ornaments?” That’s the plan.


For my first ornament, I decided to go super easy and make one that sparkles so much it makes me want to shout, “Bling! Bling!” I got the idea here, and it was very easy to do. Did I mention easy?

Okay. For these Bling Bling Snowflakes you need: Waxed Paper, Puffy Glitter Glue (I’m sure there is a more technical term, but I threw away the empty bottle already), and something from which to hang your new pretty ornament on your tree. That’s all!

First you lay out your paper. The instructions told me to use a pencil to sketch out a snowflake design on the paper first. Here’s where I got cocky. I thought, “Hmmmm. How hard can a little snowflake be?” Well. My wonky flakes testify that an artist I am not. So sketch out your snowflake. Then trace over your lines with the Glitter Glue. Here’s a look at what you’ll have:


After you’ve finished snickering at my weird looking snowflake…walk away. That is, let the paint dry and harden. I left mine overnight and for half the next day. Slowly pull the snowflake off the waxed paper and tie a string through it, or attach it to a hook. Then you’re good to go. Adds some definite sparkle to your tree. The site I found this on said they also make good window clings. I plan on making up a bunch more in different colors and hanging them from our kitchen windows.


No comments: