Monday, December 13, 2010

Poofy Ribbon Ornament

Oh...I just love the word "poofy". It makes me smile! Poofy. Smile.

Welcome to a new week! I'm a little bit addicted to scouring blogs when my kids are sleeping and I'm finding LOTS of new ornament ideas. So many ornaments...so little time left. I may have to start doubling up!

Today's ornament is HUGE. So huge my DH was wondering how I would hang it on the tree. A word about our tree...we have an artificial one. We've got some pretty serious allergies AND I'm lazy and don't want to be watering and vacuuming all December long. Anyway, we inherited my parents old tree and, frankly, it's got some bare spots. I like to think of them in terms of the Velveteen Rabbit...the tree has just been loved too much. Well, I found a nice loved empty spot and stuffed my super-sized ornament right in there!


Isn't it cute?!? I like to call it artsy-fartsy.  I guess that means a big adorable mess! Our three year old asked me today, "What that doing on the tree? It goes on a present!" I found the idea here last year and didn't get around to it until now.

My idea was to just use the dark green ribbon and the red and white polka dot ribbon. Let me tell you...it takes a LOT of ribbon. Here's what I started with:


I cut five strips in each pattern and size. Didn't go far! You need LOTS of ribbon! Have I mentioned that? So much...I lost count. Here's my poof ball in the middle of the process:


Still a lot of baldness! This is when I added some of the other patterned ribbon. What you want to do is form your ribbon into a little roll (like you would with scotch tape) and then pin it to your foam ball. I started out using two pins per ribbon, but then I switched to one and that worked fine. For the hanger, I took a plain red ribbon and cut it longer than the rest. I pinned the heck out of it to make sure it was nice an attached. The end.

No comments: