Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving Display

All my fellow bloggers are so creative and wonderful at decorating their mantels for the different seasons and holidays. Since we don't have a fireplace or mantel, our piano in the living room is the go-to for decorating!

Here's what I threw together for Thanksgiving.


The pilgrim I received as a Bunco prize. The jars I made with Dollar Tree vases and candle holders. The gourds are from Dollar Tree. The tall grass and rocks are Dollar Tree. The jar on the right is filled with yarn pom poms I made for filler. And I want to focus on the turkey up front...


I made this little guy years ago! He's a pot (obviously) that I painted a pretty burnt orange color and then sponged with Turkey Colors. I hot glued a wooden ball to the top (er, bottom) that I had painted the same color as the pot. The beak & waddle are made from foam and I dotted on the eyes. Then I pulled apart a cheapy leaf bouquet and hot glued the leaves to the back to make feathers! He's so cute and colorful!!!

However. Now that I've shot his photo and I'm looking at it...his little eyebrows kind of make him look worried! Whoops!

It's like he's saying, "Eat BEEF!" lol

Another Fall decoration I cranked out years ago are popping up all over the place now!


Dryer Vent Pumpkins! We made a TON of these twelve years ago for my bridal shower centerpieces. Weird? My bridal shower was on Halloween!

Anyway, back in 1999 (so last century!) no one took shot by shot tutorials of their crafts. On a film camera. Ouch I'm getting old! But if you like this VINTAGE Dryer Vent Pumpkin...I'm sure you can just Google it and have a choosing of tutes at your fingertips!

Basically, we cut up the vent and then hot glued it into a tight circle. My dad rigged this wire in the garage that we hung them from to spray paint orange. We made pipe cleaner vines and hot glued it and leaves and raffia coming out of the hole on the top.

Here's a shot of the bottom:


Not too bad for a 12-year-old pumpkin!




No comments: