Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Crock Pot Applesauce!

Since I've been professing my undying love of Pumpkin...I feel the urge to say, 
"My name is Amy. And I think applesauce is yucky."

Phew! That's a load off my mind!

But. Seriously. It's kind of slimy and bland. Ugh.
My hubs & kiddos LOVE applesauce, though. And, being the terrific wife/mom I am...I've always bought it for them. I don't like buying the small plastic cups with the fear of chemical leaching hanging over my head. So I buy the jars. And my family binges on it. And then the jar gets shoved into the dark pit of the fridge. And then I find it...a dried mountain of apple stuff with an apple-ish lake in the center. ICK!

So. The last time my kids started whining asking politely for me to buy some applesauce I looked at our kitchen counter and saw a mountain of apples. CLICK when the light bulb in my head! We'll just make some. 

(Reading multiple blogs and Stalking Pinterest has given me Creative Superpowers...in my head)

I read a handful of recipes for crock potting applesauce and came up with my own version:

Peel and quarter 6 apples & put them in your crock pot.
Pour 1/2 a cup of water on top
Sprinkle on a Tablespoon of cinnamon
Sprinkle on 1/4 cup of sugar
Add a dash of vanilla (I didn't measure. Blame my Grandma. She didn't measure, either.)

Then I got my big wooden spoon and stirred it all up a bit.
See:


Cover it all up and cook it on low for 4 hours. Smells DELISH!

When times up, take your potato masher and mash them apples! It makes a beautiful squelchy noise while those yummy apple cinnamon smells hit your nose.

I plopped some into bowls while it was still warm...


...and fed it to the Masses!


Total Hit!


Thumbs Up!

And. Guess What??? I liked it, too! The flavor was awesome, and I liked how chunky and non-slimy it was!




No comments: