Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Crafts of a Close Encounter

This week Louie is on Spring Break from school. Monday we hand an errand running day. Tuesday we headed to the Children's Museum which is always a blast. We've had a couple of library runs. AND we made these awesome planets for the Boys room! I saw the idea a couple of years ago on a kids activity site and I'd give them credit here, but I can't remember where I saw them!

You start off with used CDs, styrofoam balls & some kids who like to paint! We cut the styrofoam balls in half. Then I opened up the paint and passed out the brushes!


Louie did a great job. J. proceeded to paint my finger, his sock and some of the table. Eventually he got the styrofoam done! Here's what we ended up with:


We waited a day to let the paint dry. Then I plugged in the hot glue gun. I shot the glue and Louie positioned and pressed the styrofoam in place. Just attach a ball half on each side of the CD and you have an ultra-cool planet that looks like this:

I'm just trying to figure out how to hang them from the ceiling! The boys loved the rainbow patterns the CD reflected onto the walls and ceiling when the light from outside hit them. Here is our collection of planets:







1 comment:

Lyndsey said...

Very cute and clever idea!

http://abacktobasicslifestyle.blogspot.com/

I'm a new follower by the way. :)